Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Daney's in the 1st Grade...Oh What a Glorious Daaaayaaaay!

There's something magical about the beginning of the school year. Yes, moms can be heard 'round the world rejoicing and exchanging happy texts and facebook messages praising their 6 hours of daily freedom. But, I don't know...there's something else...

Seeing my "little big boy" stand in front of his school, just as he did last year when he started Kindergarten...well that is something that stirs up quite a mixture of emotions in a parent. Forget about the fact that the cliche statements you hear about time flying and how "they grow so fast" are, in fact, so true - there is a feeling I get where I can't grasp how awesome the moment is. It's like I know how much I am going to cherish this moment and remember it forever, but I also know I'll never truly understand how precious it is until time has indeed, flown.

Watching Dane walk up to his classroom - a little bit shy, a little hesitant, but ready - it was such a beautiful moment. My curly-headed gentle giant sat down at the head of his little table of six and began to shyly smile at the kids, one of whom was crying because he missed mommy (my heart was of course, breaking). Little Tristan and Dane shared a "hello," and Tristan stopped crying. Maybe a new friend for Dane? Who knows? It's all so exciting to think about...

What it boils down to is this...Dane is a 1st grader. He is now in the hands of Mrs. Sanchez in Room 7 at Magnolia Elementary from 8:05-2:35pm every week day for the next 9 months, give or take a few furlough days (thanks Cali) and holidays. There's something about that that makes my heart stop a little. He's out of my hands! The good news is, though, he's always in God's hands. Once again, I'm learning the art of letting go a little more with each kiss and hug goodbye. It will never be easy, but it does get easier. "Little big Dane," we love you so much and we are so proud of you. Have a wonderful year in 1st grade and let your light shine bright!

Pancake breakfast as requested by the 1st grader!

A new backpack that mommy and daddy found in our closet. Shhh, don't tell Dane. :)

Ready to walk!

Dane wanted to push the stroller because he's "a big, strong boy." Indeed you are, buddy.

Tradish school pic in front of the sign!


There's his classroom!

He had his own pencil/crayon box with his name on it when he got there. He was so pleased.

There's little Tristan on the right...cute.

Come on mom, get outta there!


Some brotherly love...

Ryan: "Um...can I skip 1st - 12th grade?"

There's Mrs. Sanchez busily chatting with the kids and crazy parents!

Daney's backpack on the hook with all the others. I remember doing this in school!

Peering into the classroom from outside the window with all the other parents. Hee hee.

Alana, Ryan and I headed to the park to blow off some steam (well Ryan's steam). Alana was tired.

Alana's first swing! She loved it!


Ryan wanted to push! Be my guest!


Having a yummy cheese sandwich before we head home:)

No comments: